Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"A Veggie Recipe to Share"

I am always looking for tasty "Vegetarian" recipes for my husband and I remembered this wonderful, delicious, recipe that my sweet Mama gave me several years ago.  For some reason it popped into my head today, so I had to go in search of it this morning, as I am planning dinners for this weekend when he is back home again...low and behold I found it in the back of a recipe album she made for me quite a few years ago...thought I would share, although I don't have a picture of the making or the end product, as my photographer won't be home until Friday..
Note to self..My next goal:learning to use his camera and load the pictures on to the computer..

For your dining pleasure here it is and of course a picture of my Mama


Isn't she the cutest!!!

Savory Red Beans and Rice

1 cup chopped onion
2 cups vegetable stock of your choice
1/4 cup regular brown rice, although it is best with Lundberg Golden Rose Organic Brown Rice
1/4 cup celery
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce or more if you like
1/8 teaspoon pepper, although I dump in quite a bit more..I'm a pepper girl!
1 15 1/2-oz dark red kidney beans undrained, or you can use pinto, black or whatever your favorite is
1 small pepper..I love to use 1/2 of a red pepper and 1/2 green, cut into bite-size pieces

I usually double this recipe, because I could eat the whole batch myself..
Seriously it doesn't look like much, but it is full of flavor..

And if you are not a "Veggie" you can of course use chicken stock.

In a skillet or dutch oven drizzle a couple TBL's of oil, your choice, I use EVOO, add the chopped onion and cook until soft and yummy..
Add broth, uncooked rice, celery, salt, pepper sauce and pepper. 
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover and simmer for 40 mins.
Add the undrained beans and sweet pepper strips. Simmer covered for about 5 more mins or so. Serve..

The recipe says it makes 4 main dish servings or 6 side dish..but I guess that is a serving size for a bird because I could totally could eat 4 main dish servings myself..and I also can justify that because its low in fat and high in fiber!!

Hope you enjoy...and just a note...sometimes I saute up some crimini mushrooms or regular button mushrooms or both and some zucchini, adding a little more salt, while the rice is cooking
and add those at the same time I add the beans and peppers..

Hope you enjoy..and thanks Mom!




No comments:

Post a Comment