Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cooking with Diane Phillips

I have discovered this incredible lady from her blog http://www.cucina.blogspot.com..she is the author of many cookbooks and her food looks beautiful...thought I would share one of her recipes that I can't wait to try this weekend..if I am cooking it for myself, I will go all the way with the sausage...for my husband "The Veggie Guy" I will omit of course...
Now doesn't this look incredibly yummy! 


Penne with Sweet Sausage and Kale



One pound penne pasta, cooked 3 minutes short of al dente---keep the pasta water
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 Pound bulk sweet Italian sausage
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 sage leaves, finely sliced
3/4 cup dry white wine {Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc or Dry Vermouth}
1/4 cup chicken broth
One head Bok Choy, finely sliced, tough stalks discarded
Once head Black Kale, finely sliced
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 ounces Italian Fontina Cheese, shredded
Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large deep sided skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and saute the sausage, stirring and braking up the meat with a spoon, until it loses its pink color. Transfer the sausage to a colander to drain and set aside.
2. Add the remaining tablespoon oil to the pan and heat over medium high heat.
3 Saute the onion for 3 minutes, until softened.
4. Add the garlic and sage, and cook another 2 minutes.
5. Return the sausage to the pan, add the wine, broth and greens, and bring to a boil.
6. Turn the greens in the mixture, cover and braise the greens for 5 minutes until tender, turning the greens occasionally.
7. When the greens are tender uncover the pan and allow the liquid in the pan to reduce by 1/2, boiling for about 5 minutes.
8. Add the cream, and pepper, stirring to blend. Taste the sauce, and add salt or additional pepper if needed.
9. Add the pasta to the pan, and turn the pasta in the sauce to coat the pasta.
10. Stir in 1/2 of the cheese, and turn to melt the cheese. Serve the pasta with additional cheese on the side.
Enjoy..!!

That's about it for me today...a million things in the fire...I have a little school gathering tomorrow night at our local school, Jefferson Elementary.

Each year they host an evening called "Starry Night"..it is an evening of family fun centered on art.  Current Jefferson parents as well as parents of students who once attended are cordially invited to participate.  There are those who host tables teaching a variety of art from calligraphy, bottle cap jewelry, paper arts, to knitting and needle felting.  The artisan parents also are able to offer their goods for sale.  It is a wonderful family event and one that has been held annually since my oldest child was attending Jefferson 19 years ago...I am very excited and honored to be apart of "Starry Nights" this year..

So off to put the coffee on as it is going to be one of those wonderful late night creating marathons..will try to get some pictures taken tonight and if I am successful will post tomorrow. But don't hold your breath because my photographer husband is not here...

Thanks for dropping by...
Too-Dah-lou...
Val





1 comment:

  1. The stuff you brought to Starry Night was darling! Those bookmarks are super-cute. I am deciding which of my friends get which bookmark...

    Man, these recipes look and sound yummy. It's late at night and I should be going to bed, so I'd better skip them for now and read them later when I have something in my tummy!

    ReplyDelete